Friday, November 7, 2014

Mastering Porky

I'm putting this same post on my newer blog, but since its so relevant to what John K teaches, I'll also put it here.

For the past 2 or more weeks, I have been working on mastering porky. Through copying, drawing from memory and invention (with reference, but it fluctuates how much I use it).

Through this I was able to create the following invented poses:


 
These first two used the above frames from Clampett's Porky in Wackyland as a reference. The rest used a model sheet I made from a variety of 1940s Clampett and Jones frames (posted further below).





These last two I am not so happy with, but I am still learning and don't fully understand how to pose porky in every way, so this still happens a bit. My proportions still vary quite a bit in general etc.
 
Here's the 2nd reference sheet I made:
 
 
 
And here are some of the sketches from my copying / understanding memory work. I like the last one especially (I should go back and do some memory work on that). A lot of the work below was about memorizing and understand the feet.
 





 
 
 
It would probably be a great idea to continue this process. I'm sure it could lead to really mastering porky, where I could invent poses and expressions for him from imagination without references and with correct proportions, construction hierarchy and strong poses.
 
However, right now I am going to move over to doing the same process with Elmer Fudd and later maybe some other simple generic characters. It should all lead to the same goal of being able to create and successfully pose from imagination. I might return to porky later, or just invent a new porky every day. I dunno. 
 
I also should read and practice up on how to pose well ( I have a lot of books etc that address this)
 
Also on the cards is inventing and posing my own characters etc (hopefully incorporating these design principles).
 
I've done a bunch of art stuff that I haven't posted about, including drawing courses and making some of my own comics (not this cartoony though (yet)). This just felt so relevant to the John K training and suggestions that I had to post it.
 
Its interesting to see what happened to the people that posted work on John K's blog years back. Some became super good and went on to kick ass with their own inventions (I think Geneva was one of them). That is really inspiring to see. Many just seemed just to peter out (to be expected). I hope this shows I'm still chugging along (although with a few detours to be sure).
 
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment